October 23, 2012

Apple Squares Part One


It's been a few days since I've posted.  I've been busy.  Every now and then, all my commitments and obligations knock on the front door at once.  Poor little VeganMOFO had to sit and wait outside for a few days.  Student essays came first, presentations came first, laundry (at least the bare necessities) came first. 

For this reason, I'm milking one drawing for two posts.  ("Milking."  How can I veganize that colloquialism?  I'm stretching one drawing for two posts?) 

I saw this stack of apple cores at New Seasons grocery store and asked if I could take a picture.  Something about the square shape of normally robustly round apples captured my attention.  I thought it would be fun to try to draw the not-quite-square shapes and the overall square-ish shape the stack makes.  

The top image is in the beginning stages.  I'll post the final tomorrow.  It took me about five days to do this little drawing.  --That sounds more dramatic than I mean. I try to set aside five or ten minutes to draw each day, so ultimately, this must have taken me about an hour; although, it felt like more.

Here is the photo of the display:  



4 comments:

  1. WOW! I've got to say - I'm loving the drawing as it is RIGHT NOW! :) Can't wait to see the finished result but the way it is now - with the extreme detail on the colored tops is really striking against the black and white!

    ReplyDelete
  2. apple stacks!!!
    hemp milking it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the drawing a lot and the mixture of b&w with color! I always enjoy thinking of ways to veganize language. I'd probably go with Gigi's answer of hemp milking it or rice milking it, just to be silly. Recently I was thinking about that old, sexist colloquialism, "Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free?" I decided I'd change it to, "Why buy coagulant for your soy milk when you can get the tofu for free?" It's definitely wordy, but that amuses me about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am just curious as to why they cut and stacked them...were they offering the cut off pieces to taste???

    ReplyDelete